– If you smoke, use only fire-safe cigarettes.
– If you smoke, smoke outside. Most deaths result from fires that started in living rooms, family rooms and dens or in bedrooms.
– Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other smoking materials up high out of the reach of children, in a locked cabinet.
Put It Out
– Use a deep, sturdy ashtray. Place it away from anything that can burn.
– Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss,
dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.
– Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.